Director/Founder of Peninsula Eye Centre and VISTAeyes Laser Eye Clinic
Ophthalmologist, Advanced Cataract and Laser Eye Surgeon
MB BS, FRACS, FRANZCO
Dr Rick Wolfe is one of Australia’s most accomplished and experienced eye surgeons. He is globally recognised and is regularly invited to present on his surgical expertise and latest innovations at international eye surgery conferences.
Following his medical education at Monash University, and medical and surgical residency in Melbourne hospitals, Dr Wolfe discovered a passion for surgery in ophthalmology. He undertook his specialty training at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital (RVEEH). Dr Wolfe became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO) in 1984.
As an Australian Defence Force Reservist of over 30 years and Lieutenant Commander (Ret.) of the Royal Australian Naval Reserve, Dr Wolfe understands the visual needs and concerns of our service men and women. In his role on the ADF Consultative Committee of Ophthalmology, he advised the ADF regarding refractive surgery policies. Dr Wolfe provides laser eye surgery to ADF members in accordance with Health Services Bulletin 11/2002.
Dr Wolfe has been an ophthalmic surgeon for over 30 years, awarding him invaluable experience and achievements throughout his career:
- First surgeon in Victoria to perform LASIK and LASEK eye surgery. He has personally performed over 28,000 laser eye procedures.
- Commenced phacoemulsification (the modern technique of cataract surgery) when it was almost unknown in Australia. He has taught many ophthalmologists this procedure in Australia and overseas. Today it is the procedure of choice in Australia.
- Performed the first corneal incisions and foldable intraocular implants in Australia. Today this is the most common method amongst advanced cataract surgeons. He has also lectured widely on this technique.
- Pioneered a technique called micro-incision cataract surgery which is today the standard of care.
Appointments and Memberships:
- Founder and Medical Director of Peninsula Eye Centre (Mornington) since 1986 and VISTAeyes (Elsternwick) since 1996
- Founder of the World College of Refractive Surgery and Visual Sciences (WCRS)
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)
- RANZCO – Chairman of the Visual Standards Committee
- RANZCO – Chairman of the Clinical Standards Committee
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- Co-founder of the Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (AUSCRS)
- AUSCRS – Member and former Secretary and Treasurer
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons (ISRS) – Member and former Councillor
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) – Member
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) – Member
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) – Member
- Over 30 years of service in the Royal Australian Naval Reserve, holds the rank of Lieutenant Commander (Ret.).